Dealing with rust

orever

I've noticed some rust bubbles starting to form on the leading edge of my hood. I know this is bad and I want to get a jump on it before it gets worse. Can anyone recommend what to do here? I'm not exactly a car guy but can handle some basic stuff.

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about:

4784079766_dcfdba39b6.jpg

are you looking for the cheapest fix? if so i would just take a side grinder grind out the paint put some bondo on it and color match the paint and ride on... or if you are looking for a permanent, kick-@$$ fix, two words...carbon fiber!

With a hood it's tough call. If you sand it off, fill it if needed and then paint it but you have no way of knowing if another spot is going to pop up as soon as you are done. These things tend to rust from the inside out, so what you don't see might be pretty bad. Best option is to buy a brand new hood, or get good at sanding and painting to match. You might have to do it every other year.

are you looking for the cheapest fix? if so i would just take a side grinder grind out the paint put some bondo on it and color match the paint and ride on... or if you are looking for a permanent, kick-@$$ fix, two words...carbon fiber!

thats not the cheapest. cf is actually pretty exspensive and hard to up keep. I have to wax mine atleast once a month. i also use a special kind of wax just ment for carbon fiber.

thats not the cheapest. cf is actually pretty exspensive and hard to up keep. I have to wax mine atleast once a month. i also use a special kind of wax just ment for carbon fiber.

i know carbon fiber isn't the cheapest... thats why i gave him that as the "permanent kick-@$$" alternative... look at the post again... i said sanding and filling would be his cheapest fix for right now... and its meant* not ment!! rofl

cf is pretty, and 100% rust free.

it does come with a whole boatload of baggage though. As preston stated, there is more routine maintenance that needs to be performed. There are other ramifications to consider as well: the visual impact, us young guys like it, but a lot of people don't and in some cases people would single you out for vandalism or theft because of the hood. some insurance companies have had issues with insuring cars with cf hoods as they classify it as a compromise to the safety of the car.

I've never seen someone find a grammatical error so hilarious...:crazy:

didn't find it that hilarious btw... next time you take a pic of your car, push a lil harder and close the door all the way! what do you have the forearm strength of a toddler? lmfao! see I over-indulge all i would like to with my acronym expressions!

didn't find it that hilarious btw... next time you take a pic of your car, push a lil harder and close the door all the way! what do you have the forearm strength of a toddler? lmfao! see I over-indulge all i would like to with my acronym expressions!

Got it, you over exaggerate your expressions and comments. I'll just water down everything you say from now on. Are you that excited in real life?

Got it, you over exaggerate your expressions and comments. I'll just water down everything you say from now on. Are you that excited in real life?

Nope not really too excited in person... I'm more like a Rain-man! Pretty much keep to myself (I think its by choice but it might be because nobody likes being around me, i'll let you know when i figure out!) and I'm pretty calm and think through things before I do them, and I'm good with numbers! :crazy:

with someting that small just sandblast/sand it down to bare metal, use rust fix/preventative then primer,paint. be done.

Exactly. No big thing. I'm old school and would sandblast. Best way to remove the rust and nothing else. And all the rust needs to be removed - rust begets rust.

Archived