1992 Accord only starts with starter fluid

Alex510

I have a Honda Accord 92 and the only way it starts is with starting fluid. When it starts though it stays running no problem, no turning off and will stay on for hours if need be. And it will start right back up if you turn it off. It only needs starter fluid to start if it has been sitting for more than one hour.

I already talked to a mechanic and he said it's most likely the cold ignition switch or cold injector or something along those lines, I forget what he exactly said. He did say it'd cost around 350$ to fix.

I'd like to get some more opinions about the problem. Any help would be much appreciated.

Sounds like something clogged, or maybe when you add starter fluid u hit a wire which than it makes a better ground on the starter.. really tuff to say. without really looking at it

Sounds like you might be losing fuel pressure after the car shuts down for a while. But if the mechanic checked things out right he should of checked that the fuel pressure was holding. It may be a slow drop that take time to happen. You could try this. Turn the key on for a few seconds then off, do this about three times. then try to start the car. This may allow presure to build up to start.

now does it do this when its real hot inside the car? it could be the fuel pump regulator under the driver side dash. u can put a new 1 in or solder the old 1. my 1992 accord lx would never start if it sit for long periods in the heat and was hot inside the car. i re soldered the fuel pump regulator and have had no problems since. its something to try.

Archived