1991 Accord speedo issue.

shins0ku

Hi, I've already searched for topics that may help me with my problem, but no success. I just bought a 1991 Honda Accord, and the speedometer isn't working. I already replaced the Vehicle Speed Sensor (the two 10-mm bolts). The problem still remains. After unplugging the sensor and plugging it back in, as well as putting the whole piece back into the transmission, it works temporarily. For example, when I put the car in reverse, it works okay. When I drive my car forward, it works for a little bit, then drops down to zero. Subsequently, the entire speedometer stops working in general. Also, the CEL comes on after driving for a little while. The code that comes up is 17 which is the speed sensor, but again I have already replaced it with a brand new one. Has anyone ever had this problem? Please let me know.

- - I'm sorry if this is the wrong place to post this, but I would love everyone's two cents.

First, posting in accord for an accord problem is rwight on.

Second, i dont know crap about accords directly.

Third, are they electric or cable (is there a plug on the speedo or a cable)?

Finally, if its electric, id guess its a short in one of the wires once the car vibrates at some point, if its cable, id guess the cable is rusted and grabs on its self at super low speeds but then it doesnt grip and just stops working.

The speedometer is electric; therefore, it does have a plug on it. I've replaced the entire VSS itself already.. Unless there's a possible short in the wire that goes to the gauge? This is where I'm stuck at the moment.

Get a used gauge cluster for it (a.k.a. speedo head). You can test the resistance on the connector to the cluster if you wish but if the VSS has been replaced and there is voltage from the VSS being delivered to the gauge cluster then more often then not it is the cluster. You should be able to find a low mileage one for around 80 dollars. You may want to call 1-800-BUY-USED and see what they can offer. They are an auto salvage outfit in NY that specialize only in Honda/Acura parts and are very reliable.

That is what I would do next given the information you have provided. Good luck!

Archived