check engine light?

hondadummy

• 2 weeks later...

What was the code???

41, 43, 45, 61.....I could keep gpoing. Yes the CEL on puts the car into "limp" mode which will not let it run/operate at peek performance. Resolving/fixing the issue will depend on the code and testing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

i was told that the check engine light was b/c of o2 sensor is it gonna cause problem with performance?

I've had the check engine light come on 4x in the last 7 years and two of those it was the O2 sensor. Just hope that that is what it is, because the other two instances the repair costs were much higher (transmission once and catalytic converter the other).

• 2 months later...

I've had the check engine light came on several times in the past 6 months on my 98 Accord (4cyl). It always indicates that the O2 sensor is at fault. Replaced both sensors and engine light came on again a few months later indicating same problem. This time my mechanic says its the catalytic converter. The car has 140,000 miles. Questions:

1. Should I get a new mechanic?
  2. Should I replace the catalytic converter?
  3. Might the problem be something else? Maybe the check engine light is faulty?
  4. What risk is there to the occupants of the car if I don't replace the catalytic converter?

Thanks.

Archived