Honda 2001 burning oil

Hockey777

I have a 2001 Honda Accord 2-door 4-cyl. I put mobile 1 super synthetic 5w-20 in it.

It seems to burn a bit of oil (I guess maybe a quart every 1500 miles). I had a few questions I wanted to ask.

1. Would switching to a different brand, such as castrol be smart? If so what brand would you recommend. I've heard Mobile 1 burns easily
  2. How does one tell where the burn may be coming from. Is it expensive to get a mechanic to check
  3. If it is expensive to have fixed or examines - what are some of the cheaper things to do that may fix the problem?

If the car has not had synthetic only used in it since brand new the first thing I would do is switch to conventional for an oil change and see if the problem resolves on it's own.

• 2 weeks later...

Checking the oil every couple of weeks is par for the course with a ten year old car. Depending on the mileage I would try Castrol High Mileage

oil or if it gets worse, an engine leak sealer, but that will also reduce it's ability to stay cool possibly. I used that oil in my 170K Saturn no problems

till I crashed it like an idiot. lol There are far worse problems to have - be glad!

Archived