86 Accord LX-i Idle-vaccum ?

Justin4Honda

Hi guys im new to the forum and i was hoping that maybe i could get some help. I have never owned a honda nor an import (i Drive jeeps) so this is kinda new, i have done engine work before on jeeps and other similar vehicles but this time im just not sure.

So when i start it it idles around 2k rpm. then after it sits for a few min its idle around 12 to1500 rpm. i know this is to high because when i shift from P to R and or D it jerks a bit. also when idling i can let off the brake and go around 15mph. so after a bit of research i found there is the idle screw. so i checked it it was turned tight all the way to the right (clockwise). when i turned it left it would go to a jumping idle, form 600 to say 1200 rpm. so i just tightend it back up. Also on the top near the throttle cable. there is 2 vacuum lines., when 1 hose is removed nothing changes. but when the other is pulled off the idle drops to around 500rpm and the car smells really rich in fuel. so im just not sure. Thanks for any ideas and or help.

Justin

Can be a vacuum leak, possibly a bad thermo valve (usually thermovalve A), or the throtle cable is sticking or out of adjustment. Try putting you foot under the pedal and lifting up, if you idle drops and stays, press the pedal and see if the idle goes back up and stays up. If so I would replace the throtle cable. With the engine hot the throtle plate should be closed, if not then either the stop is out of adjustment, the throtle cable is out of adjustment, or it is sticking. Start there, if that does not solve the problem then it is time to start thinking about a vacuum issue. Good luck.

Personally I'd start with a good tb cleaning, look inside the tb-open the butteryfly for the air passages. Then be sure the coolant has been blead.......

Then, remove the idle screw, count the number of turns either till it comes out or from where it bottoms out, then clean the air passage with cleaner of a soft/stiff (yes I know) wire.

If that doesn't help then go for cleaning/adjusting the FITV and or the IAC..

Archived