HELP!! Intermittant Start Issue w/1998 Accord LX 4 cyl

famu97

I've ready through the forum topics and i didn't see a problem like this. This problem started Saturday when my car wouldn't start. Wife went to Publix and came out and turned the key and all she heard was a click. The starter was not turning over at all. Tried jumping and no go. Long story short, I removed the battery & the starter and took them both to AutoZone and to Adv Auto Parts and both of them said the starter & the battery were good. I saw it tested with my own eyes. I even took the battery to the Honda dealer & they tsted it and the battery shows good. It's consistently shows over 500+ CCA's & its rated for 490 CAA. it's also showing charged over 12+ volts every where I took it.

Stumped by the problem, I just re-installed the battery & starter and I made sure connections were tight including ground cables, and then my car started up first try w/ no problems. I can't explain it. Fast-forward to next day and i drop my daughet off to school this morn and make a stop at a store and come out and the same problem occured. Car wouldn't start. I turn the key and all I hear is a click. So I turned the key off and then turned it back on agin and the car started up no problems so my problem didn't go away. I am stumped at what could be the problem? Anyone have any thoughts here? Might the starter really be the problem even though it tested good at two different places

I haven't had any work done on the car at all except having two new tires put on the front of the car a week ago.

History of car

- had new Honda battery, new battery cables, & a new ignition installed by the honda dealer 3 years ago and battery cables still look good with no corrosion.

- never had any problems starting up since my new ignition was installed 3 years ago. it starts on the first try everytime.

Please help?

Auto or manual trans.

When it does this can you voltage drop the starter? Both cables....might need a helper to check the small wire while trying to start.

When it is doing this what do the dash lights do and or turn the headlights on and watch them.

Dod you check both ends of both cables.

Auto or manual trans.

When it does this can you voltage drop the starter? Both cables....might need a helper to check the small wire while trying to start.

When it is doing this what do the dash lights do and or turn the headlights on and watch them.

Dod you check both ends of both cables.

1. It's an Automatic trans

2. I don't know if the voltage is dropping. I don't have a volt-meter but I think I can borrow one from work to test out the voltage along the way of the battery cable.

3. When I try to start the dash lights are fine. they do not dim at all. I've even turned on the headlights and they headlights are strong. they are not dimming either. Like I said, I've taken the battery to Autozone & Adv Auto and to the Honda dealer and the batter checks out fine. Both charge & Cold Cranking Amps are good.

4. I've looked at both ends of all cables coming off the battery and they all look good. zero corrosion. The cables are 3 years old and was newly replaced 3 years ago with the battery. There was one ground cable coming off the negative post on the battery that on the ground end attached to the car frame looked grimmey so I did remove the bolt and cleaned the bolt, the car frame where it attaches, and I cleaned the cable connection itself. Other than that, all cables look good on both ends.

I've answered all the questions but do you have any ideas on what could be the problem here? I still have some grime and dirt on the starter so this weekend I'm going to do a scheduled tune-up (spark plugs & wires) and remove the starter again and this time give it a thorough cleaning. I've heard that any kind of dirt and grime can cause the starter to have problems.

Hard to test when it is working. If the contacts on the starter are going out it can give you interm issues. That is why you want to be sure the proper voltage is getting to the starter, then you pretty much found the issue,,,,,voltage into the starter at the proper levels and it does not spin....humm

Hey just letting everyone know I found the problem. It was the starter after all. I replaced the starter and I haven't had a problem since. It starts on the first try every time. Even though the starter tested good when I took it to AutoZone and Adv Auto Parts it was still bad. My friend that works at AutoZone said he's seen that before. Those starter tests aren't perfect. Everything just pointing back to the starter so that's why I went ahead and changed it.

Archived