'91 LX Fan and heat sensor problem

Honda Lunacy

:dry: I have an Accord LX '91 and I am having a strange problem. When I am at idle, my heat gauge goes into the red within a minute or so. But when I begin to accelerate, the gauge moves to normal temperature almost immediately. And when the gauge raises that high the fan rarely kicks in. When I stop and turn off the car, then the fan will kick on immediately and it will run fine for about 30 seconds and then it will turn off, kick on for a couple seconds, turn off,kick back on for another couple seconds, kick off, and this continues until the fan either doesn't kick on anymore or the fan keeps running. Even tho the temperature gauge shows the temp being in the red, the car doesn't overheat and if I let it idle for about 10 minutes or so, then the fan will kick on but the gauge stays in the red. And I am not nor do I use the AC. As matter as fact the AC is out of coolant and I haven't bothered to get it going cuz I don't use the AC anyway.

I believe that the problem is probably with the temperature sensors on the coolant intake and outtake and fan relay or possibly a link between the sensors and fan relay, which would be the temp gauge itself. I just wanted to see if anyone else has had this problem or seen it and how it was corrected. Thank you. :crazy:

Can't say that I've seen this. How are you sure it is not over heating, have you verified the temp of the head with IFR themometer? Check the coolant level. Really sounds like you are low on coolant and the switch on the t-stat that control the fan, while the car is running, isn't working or getting a good reading.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived