Ruled Out Belt in Squeal

triton318

We have a 1992 Honda Accord. In the morning, or after it has been sitting for a while, the car will squeal loudly when the engine is started. This lasts for about one minute, and then goes away. I tightened the belt, which seemed a little loose, and at first, it seemed to help. After the squealing stops, if you turn on the AC, the squealing starts again. Could the problem be the bearings in the AC compressor pulley going bad? If so, can they be replaced, or do you have to replace the entire compressor?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

EDIT: There are three belts- AC, PS and Alt

Ok, first, how old is the AC belt? Did you tighten the AC belt, you say you did one but didn't say which one......Does sound like the ac belt i slipping.

The bearing in the ac pulley is turning all the time (AC on or off), just when you turn on the ac the "clutch" locks. So yes under load (ac on) the bearing could make more noise than when it is not under load.

Can you replace just the bearing in the pulley, yes.

I get a new belt, then I have to ask about the others if it has been a while since the AC blet was changed, and put it on and be sure it is tight-per the manual.

Just because you tightened the belt doesn't mean you tightened it enough. To get enough tension on the belt in a 98 Accord I have previously used a crowbar levering under the alternator.

I thought the new ones had the adjusting bolts, so no "crowbar" needed., 3rd gens you only have to do that for the PS, the alt and ac have adjusting bolts...anyway the 5th gens do have that for all the belts........would have thought Honda would have done that on the 6th (your car) as well.

The Op has a 4th gen so I can't say for sure on the AC belt but I know the alt belt does have an adjuster bolt for the belt tension......but who am I......

It might have had functioning adjusters from the factory. A lot of years and a hell of a lot of miles and it was just easier to use a third party to put enough tension on the belt so it would stop squealing.

Ok, gotcha...the 95 sometimes gives me issues, what do you expect with 367K on the orig engine and trans....I'd say at least another 100K.

And to think I practically stole it when I purchased it, it had 160K ,cause the couple selling it said it had too many miles on it.

Agreed on the miles. The baby in this household just rolled 140 and it's only just broken in enough that the seat is getting comfy.

Archived