1989 accord charging system problem please help ):

JonathanVichaidit

so i just started having the problem. i have a 1989 accord dx with an a20a1 in it. a few days ago my cig. lighter started to go weird and sometimes charge my phone and sometimes not. i didnt think that big of a deal of it and then my battery light came on every time i tried to use my headlights. (6k hid just fyi) the battery light would come on but if i turned my car off and back on the battery light would shut off. then a few days ago i left my foglights on by accident overnight. i didnt realize it until the next morning that over night the fuse for my foglights popped. so i removed the fog lights. the battery light stays on now and i though it must of been the battery so i changed the battery and the terminal connectors. everything is tight and well but the positive battery has corrosion. i went to the junk yard and grabbed another alternator but it seems like i either have a short to ground or i have another bad alternator. does anyone know what else the problem can be?.

could a short to ground from the cigarette lighter cause the alternator to not charge?

all my fuses are fine none of them are blown or missing

i did the test of pulling the positive off the battery terminal with the car running and my car shuts off

please help ):.

Have the alt tested or at least put a volt meter on the battery and see what that tells you.

If that tests out, try removing the wire on the choke coil (it is a carb'd model, correct-LX and DX should be in that gen).

And I hope you know how to change the alt WITHOUT pulling the cv shaft.........

Archived