b20, worth it?

Jeffrey

i found a b20 at my uncles salvage yard and im wondering if it would be worth getting and doing some work on? its basically a short block and id need the valve cover, timing chain cover, header, and intake, and all the other goodies.

right now i have a d16z6, and im tired of being so damn slow.

so what would be better/cheaper?

buy the short block b20, do some headwork and porting on the d16 or buy a different engine from a junkyard and rebuild it?

if i go with the last option what engine would be better? im looking at spending at the most around 500(without machine work) and would like to not have to do that many mods.

the z6 i have right now has about 170k on the clock, and shes getting slow, i also need to replace the throw out bearing, so that got me thinking about a engine swap.

i do plan on a header and new intake tube.

Jeff.

GETTING slow?? lololol

pound for pound in n/a form as it sits the b20 would be better but i wouldn't put too much money into it. sleeves are paper thin, don't hold up well to any kind of boost in the long run.

^^^

Troof,

I build D's, and your I/H/E MAY get you 5-10whp if that. Only way to make any decent (20-50whp) out of a D series motor on the cheap for NA is cam/I/H/E/tune/mill/overbore/high comp.

have the block inspected, odds are for $60 its going to need a few hundred in machine work.

Tear it down, inspect the rods, crank bearing surfaces, pistons, and cyl walls. Expect it will need to be atleast honed and decked, the head will most likely need to be decked as well to ensure a good seal.

What ever you think your costs are going to be, multiply it by 3-5 if you are unsure of the block's TRUE condition. So if you think that block will be ready to run with $200 invested in it, odds are you are going to be looking at $600-$1000 to get that block ready for any sort of heavy use.

alright i bought it for $50, i hauled it back to my house in the trunk of my sol!! ill post pics later when i get back home, i still need to fin a valve cover and a few other bits and pieces. Then ill start the teardown and rebuild, i also want to swap in a new trans or rebuild mine. How do i tell what trans have? I want to build the engine to about 200hp. to the wheels.

Jeff

Your trans will not work with this unless you have a Del Sol VTEC model, Del Sol SI's have a different series of engine.

B20's are slow they are all tq I had one in my da teg and you can spin threw third but go no where

Slow, yet it spun it's ass off..

PLEASE, quit breathing my air.

i planned on it Sarah,lol

what kind of trans should i get, im going to the local honda heaven this saturday, should i get one that came factory with the b20?

sorry for all the noob questions, im used to chevy's not hondas,lol

Jeff

Archived