That light with the motor in it

LadyT

I bought a 1999 Honda Accord EX about 6 months ago with 118, 000 miles. The light with the engine in it came on. I read my manual and it said it could be caused by a gas cap not being on good. I had recently bought a new gas cap (thanks to my 20 yr old son losing the other one) approximately a week ago. I took it to a repairman and he told me it was probably due to the gas cap being changed and turned the light off and told me to come back if it came back on. Well, a month later it is back on. Has anyone else experienced that?

Also, sometimes when the car is speeding up, it feels like it's slipping or jerking, anyone else with that problem?

The check engine light, or CEL, can be caused by about a million different things. One of the most common causes of intermittent CEL activation is due to problems with the exhaust system. Your car's computer is reading the chemical content of the exhaust gases and if one of the sensors is faulty or is reading measurements outside of specification the light turns on. The two most common things are faulty oxygen sensors or worn out catalytic convertors. Any auto repair shop, and most auto parts shops, can give you a free diagnostic of the situation. In the case of the latter issue with a catalytic convertor being bad it can cause the car to bog down and have poor performance due to restricting the car's airflow. This would be especially noticeable during acceleration when the car needs more air to perform.

Bottom line: take the car to a place that will read what the CEL says is bad and isn't just going to reset it. Sometimes the reason is temporary, like the fuel cap issue. Since the light came on again it obviously came on for a reason and turning the light off doesn't make the problem go away.

My ass. Believe it or not, when I make a comment I am usually not full of sh1t.

and I always forget about the stupid content filter.

When someone is looking for help and they provide an articulate post for me to read I enjoy responding in kind. Her question appeared genuine and well thought out and judging by the terminology she used I assume she is not well acquainted with auto repair. I thought it best to write a thorough response to try and assist her with her problem.

Archived