1997 Honda irratic idle, jumpy car.

faytheless

I have a 1997 Honda Accord Special Edition 4cyl.

And it is VERY embarrassing to drive.

To begin with, you turn on the car, instantly the idle will begin going high, low, high, low, etc. Not extremely fast but still very noticeable.

Only does this is park and neutral, so that has to be an idle problem.

Also, after a while of driving, you come to a red light.

The car will jerk a little and begin revving up even when coming to a stop. You keep your foot on the brake while waiting, the car will jerk.

Like I said... EXTREMELY EMBARRASSING and loud! Sounds like I'm continuously revving up my engine behind people and they give me the strangest and angriest looks!

My boyfriend removed my IACV and cleaned it and replaced, it was caked with soot but even cleaning this did not affect my car.

Dad bought me an OBD-II for it, the outcome was P0135, P0140. The sensor circuits? My dad says they wouldn't affect my idling problems.

Please help I really need this fixed, I need an idea what to look for to replace! :(

My sol use to rev, and my civic still does, but I cleaned out the throttle body and tightened all the vacuum hoses going to it and that made the sol stop reving, will be cleaning the civics soon and I'll let you know how that goes, but if someone doesn't mind using a toothbrush try cleaning the throttle body, might help might not, and the jerking problem sounds throttle body too, if its stuck slightly open or a vacuum hose is bad it will try to drive itself

• 4 months later...

The idle jumpin up and down kinda sounds like a PCV valve to me. And those codes, if I remember correctly, are O2 sensor codes I think? Bad O2 sensors and/or AFR sensors will make it run like that.

Archived