1996 Honda Accord problems. Need advice

AndrewPrice

Hey all. I'm new to the forums here and am looking for some help.

I have a 1996 Honda Accord 2dr 4cyl vtech. 174,000 miles

First off, my speedometer starting jumping around and only being responsive when it felt like it. This started about a year ago. I haven't fixed it because it didn't seem like a huge issue since my cruise control still works when the speedometer does not. But now my trip meter and odometer have stopped working. They all seem to die in unison, when my speedometer works I notice that the others are also working. One of these weekends I will be removing them and re-soldering some of the connections in the back. Some posts on here said that has worked for them. Does anyone have a link to give me with decent instruction on removing the cluster, I think its called,? Does anyone have pictures of what they have re-soldered? If not, I'm doing all of them. I'll let you know about my progress, but any help is appreciated.

Also, when I turn my car on there is this obnoxious buzzing/rrrrrrr noise that lasts for maybe 40seconds and then stops and the ABS light comes on. I opened my hood and the noise is definitely coming from the modulator but it is very expensive to replace the whole assembly. I tried the paperclip trick to get the ABS code and it seems that after the long first blink, which indicates that the bulb works?, it pauses and then I get one long blink and then pause and one long blink. So it seems to me that this is giving me a code of... 1? Which from another site indicates that the hydraulic pump motor is over-run. What does it mean by over-run? I took it to a shop so they could attempt at getting the code or confirm the code that I got and the guy said that it isn't saving any codes... which was weird to me because I saw it doing the one long blink, etc.

Any advice is welcome

Archived