1990 accord... new owner need some help

AGDubyaJ

id like to start by introducing myself, you can call me AG. Im a career welder and all i do for fun is work on my Jeep. my room mates couldnt afford to keep the accord so they gave it to me... nice room mates. the honda is a 2.2 (i believe) automatic tranny... 220,000 miles. its pretty beat up but im willing to throw some money into it and build myself a nice little car so i dont have to drive my gas sucking jeep everywhere. i have a couple issues i need to work out before i can get it registered though. please bare with me, i dont know much about hondas!

1) PO says that the speed sensor is bad? apparently it has to be shifted manually between gears and will not shift by itself, and the speedo does NOT work. sounds like something else to me but i dont know much about hondas. NO check engine light.

2) wont pass smog, maybe because the "bad speed sensor"? i dont know if that could affect the PCM, TCM, or whatever... seems to idle high as well... 1200- 1400 rpms. PO also said something about a valve seal of some sort causing it to fail smog inspection?

ill post some pics and start trying to do some diagnostics tomorrow, just looking for a place to start... thanks!

Archived