1990 Accord ignition, fuel issues?

Maidenrules1968

My '90 Honda is my daily driver. Starts up and drives fine until coming home from work one day I was stopped at an intersection and then started to go and the car died. Which left me rolling in the intersection with no power and then I turned the key back and forth and started up again. It did this one time after and Autozone said it was the distributor. The car has sat for 3 months because of lack of time and knowledge to address the issue. I have since replaced the distributor cap, plugs and distributor but to no avail. I've been able to keep it started for short bursts before it dies. It gives me the impression that the problem is electronic. Any thoughts? A sensor or ignition switch maybe?

(1) check the fuel pressure regulator

(2) EGR ports or valve may be malfunctioning

(3) IAC valve may be really dirty or not functioning properly (clean)

(4) cracked vacuum line (possibly to the fuel pressure regulator or EGR etc.)

(5) from there it can be lots of different things...

If you suspect that it is something to do with the ignition then I would go ahead and replace the electrical portion of the ignition switch. I believe the Honda P/N for your switch is 35130-SM4-305. They are a "wear and tear" item and generally have to be replaced once on Honda's that are used a lot. By replacing just the electrical portion of the switch you will be able to keep the same key that you currently have.

Good luck.

Archived