Won't go pass 3500rpm

Tonytaz

I have a 1991manual honda accord and recently the check engine light has turn on. When the check engine light is on it won't let me switch gears pass 3500rmp. I turn on and off the car quick and the check engine light turn off and I could switch gears pass 3500rmp. Before I take it to a mechanic and waste a lot of money does anyone have an idea what could be the problem??

I just bought a '00 Accord (v-tec) and am getting the same thing except at 3k rpms. Pulled several codes:

P0108 - MAP

P0122 - TPS

P1381

P1259 - Vtec

P0420 - Catalyst system efficiency below threshold

P1457

I reset them tonight and will check again when the CEL comes on again.

I just bought a '00 Accord (v-tec) and am getting the same thing except at 3k rpms. Pulled several codes:

P0108 - MAP

P0122 - TPS

P1381

P1259 - Vtec

P0420 - Catalyst system efficiency below threshold

P1457

I reset them tonight and will check again when the CEL comes on again.

Cleared my codes and the problem went away!

• 3 months later...

Hi all, I have a 2001 Honda Accord V6 with roughly 128K miles. Recently I keep getting the code of P1259 01/01 (Fault: 01, Pend: 00). I've changed the oil and the oil levels have remainded at full. I have been using Full synethic since I bought the car new. Coolant level sits at correct level and has been changed about 6 months ago. I recently used Seafoam in the engine and gas after I first incurred the above code reading. I know the P-code is a V-TEC system fault which relates to oil pressure or Solenoid problems. Any further guidance you can assist me with? Thanks!

After some further research I have found that I may have to clean my VTEC Solenoid. Oil Sludge can build up on the screen of the solenoid causing lack of pressure to the unit. I have used a few engine oil and gas additive / cleaners in the past year or so which may have released carbon build up from the engine and was sucked into the VTEC solenoid. Stay tuned.

http://www.bimmernut...utes-miles.html

http://preludehaven....lenoid-cleaning

Finally found where Honda stached the Vtec Solenoid on the 5th Gen V6. It is by the front passenger side wheelwell right on top of the oil filter. All of the 4 cylinder engines had them up on top side of the engine with easy exposure. My question about the V6 vtec cleaning - Do I have to empty all the engine oil in order to take off the solenoid assembly for the screen cleaning?

Archived