CEL only comes on when gas is low??

tmcamp626

I haven't gotten any replies to my other topic, but this is a different one, so I'm asking:

Why does the CEL only come on when my daughter's 94 Honda Accord EX is at 1/4 tank of gas or lower? I accidentally reset the CEL when I pulled the backup (radio) fuse the other day, looking for a reason the radio didn't work (found it with the lighter fuse), so any stored codes were gone when I took it to work to have the codes read and Advanced Auto doesn't have a scanner to read OBD1.

Any suggestions as to what could cause the CEL to come on at this level? Thanks!

Seems like a silly question, but do you have the fuel cap on? If so there might be a leak in the fuel fill tube. The Accords will generate a CEL when gas fume concentration isn't high enough. It is part of the LEV and ULEV certifications they had. When the tank is full there may be enough evap it isn't setting off the sensor.

Archived