Fact or is homie trying to scam?

imcomininhot

what's up peoples - na, hey been a honda fan for a long time. mechanic told me that this accord is nothing like my civic's I've had in the past.

93 accord, 4 door, 5 spd, engine pretty much stock.

Mech' said that if I change the timing belt, (like I did a couple other times on my civics) that I'd also have to remove the oilpan, remove 4 bolts from the oil pick up unit and change its gasket, otherwise it's likely to leak, after a timing belt job.

I'm calling bluff on that dude - there was a language barrier, so I felt like he was saying that it would ruin your timing belt job. he was trying to get me to have him do it, parts and labor $775 + tax... I'm trippin' on that, but he's got me a bit concerned with anything in addition that needs to be done. I'm used to it only taking me about 3 hours on the d16, non vtec.

So, is there an additional gasket that I "have to" change during a timing belt job

Thanks for the post Raley -

Just to update, I've researched a bit. the oil pump runs at the bottom directly off the crank pulley - that's what the Mech was saying, if it goes bad itself, then the timing belt job will need to be done all over again, cuz it sits behind the timing belt job... if I was going to pull the pump off to replace the gasket, I'd just replace the whole dam pump.

does anyone "always" change that oil pump on a timing belt job? water pump, I understand, and it's expected, however oil pump?

I've never changed the oil pump or the gasket. Never had one leak or go bad either. To each their own I guess. As for $775 being the price of a timing belt, water pump, accessory belts, oil pump and oil pump gasket I would say that isn't a terrible price. He isn't doing you a huge favor or anything. I had a professional friend do the TB, WP and belts on my 98 Accord at his shop and he charged me $500, which was reasonable.

• 1 month later...

Archived