Oil Leak

zzrich5

Hey Guys, I have a 1991 Accord EX with the standard H22 engine. I have a pretty decent sized oil leak coming from the driver's side/crankshaft side of the engine under the plastic cover. My friend (who says he knows a lot about engine's but I think he may be a little full of &*^% ) say's that it's probably the Rear Mail Seal. But being on the skeptical side(due to past experiences) I did my own further research, the rear main seal seems to be on the opposite side of the engine, towards the transmission. Which side of the engine is the actual rear main seal, and if it isn't the rear main seal, what could be? I have removed the head and it doesnt seem to be the head gasket. Thanks.

if the rear main seal were leaking, you'd see brownish oil along the crack that marks the connection between the engine and the transmission, more to the passenger side of the car. if your friend hasn't seen the underside of the car, he may be referring to other models he's seen, so I wouldn't accuse him of bs if that were the case

leaks from either seal aren't good, but if the front main seal is leaking, it could be getting on the timing belt or the driveshaft belt, and oil + belts = not good. especially with the timing and balance shaft belts, so I would look into getting that repaired soon. it won't be cheap, though, but it could save your car from a score of other problems. if you need a new timing belt/water pump, I would look into doing that at the same time.

It can be fixed. And you can do it yourself if you feel inclined. You will need a service manual and air tools though. To have that seal repaired at a shop will cost a mint and they will have you do a new timing belt and water pump at the same time. Probably want to charge you upwards of $750 and it's all labor. The parts cost of a front seal, timing belt and water pump is about $75.

Archived