1992 Honda Accord Code 41

Shylow

I have a 1992 Honda Accord have owned it for about 6months it has been a great car love the comfort as well as the fuel consumption. The begining of last week I had a small coolant leak that caused my temp guage to rise to alert me that I had an issue. I quickly repaired the hose at work by installing a complete new one, but in doing so I hit the pcv valve and cracked it off, so i was able to sit it back in position and drove it home, on my way back the check engine light came on, I stopped at a local parts store and bought the new valve, and when i got home I replaced it. everything seems to be back to normal (no leak and no more hissing from the broken PCV valve) but I still have the engine light on. I have tried the tricks suggested to clear the engine light but it never dissapears. I checked the code and had 4 flashing lights with one short error 41, checked what the code meant "Code 41 Heated oxygen sensor heater"

The question is now how do i get rid of thei check engine light, I didnt do anything with the O2 sensor, and I never had this code show up before i replaced the PCV valve, what am I missing and how do I get rid of the code?

Thanks for your help in advance, I will keep you updated.

Wait a few days. I don't have an Accord manual in front of me but on most cars start-drive-stop cycling the engine the errors will clear themselves after a couple days if the problem is resolved. There are also a couple pins that can be shorted to reset the errors. You'll have to google that one. I've never needed to clear one that way so I can't tell you.

Xeryon thanks for the prompt reply

Just an addition I took the car in to work today and I noticed that it is idleing very rough and the RPM's are low almost to the point of stalling, but it actually doesnt stall, also the car is burning ALOT of fuel I usually can get 650-700 per tank and i went 120 kms today and burned 10.00 easily. Not sure if this is any more indication of what else it could be, I didnt have the code till i accidently broke the pcv, I do understand that the car will throw a code with out a proper operating pcv but I have replaced it after the code showed up right away and now the car runs rough and i have the check engine light on and the code shows up as code 41.

If you think of anything else let me know, i had a feeling from reading all the posts here that you would be the first to reply and I thank you for that.

Disconnect the battery for 5 min, or pull the ECU fuse for 5 min. This will clear the stored code.

I have a feeling the code will return, your engine performance is consistent with an ignition/emissions/fuel error. You may actually have to inspect the Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S), visually and electronically.

The drop in mileage is consistent with a failed O2 sensor. The timing of the problem is odd and the broken PCV might have had something to do with it, but who knows. Might have just been bad luck. When an O2 error happens the ECU cannot calibrate air-fuel ratios properly so it errors on the side that will not blow up your engine: it runs super rich.

And for what it's worth James is a walking Honda service manual.

Archived