Getting air to an AEM Ram Intake - 94" EX Coupe

NZXTInerTia

Since cold air intakes usually sit where the lower resonator chamber is in a stock setup there is a larger distance from the engine and the filter; supplying more cold air to the intake. I just installed an AEM Ram on my 1994 Accord EX Couple 2.2L and I am trying to brainstorm ideas to get air to the left side of the engine bay. I have a pair of extremely foggy headlights and I was thinking about hollowing out the high beam section of one of them and making sort of an eye patch type inlet. I've also seen people run PVC from the lower section of the bumper to the upper section of the bay near the intake.

Suggestions?

I was also going to fabricate up a heatshield to completely enclose the filter area of the bay.

Just install the intake as you've seen done before and fabricate an enclosure to keep water from being sucked into the motor.

There is only but so much air that can pass the intake valves while they're open. Ramming air into the intake generates a negligible amount of pressure, my guess would be less than 1psi and this effect would only work when moving.

The only way to force a significant* amount of air into the intake is to pressurize it: boost.

*and when I say significant I mean psi that's worth the effort.

Just install the intake as you've seen done before and fabricate an enclosure to keep water from being sucked into the motor.

There is only but so much air that can pass the intake valves while they're open. Ramming air into the intake generates a negligible amount of pressure, my guess would be less than 1psi and this effect would only work when moving.

The only way to force a significant* amount of air into the intake is to pressurize it: boost.

*and when I say significant I mean psi that's worth the effort.

I would love to install a turbo, I've definitely thought about it.. Too bad she's an auto.. I knew the eye patch idea was pretty far-fetched, but would running a PVC tube system (Of course fabricated and hard mounted) be good as far keeping some amount of cool air towards the filter? Thanks for the quick response btw.

The intake is already positioned to obtain a balance between cool air and debris free air. It is also worth mentioning the intake is designed by Honda to have a specific resonance frequency, hence the pep it has around 3k. Changing the length of the intake changes its resonance frequency.

The intake is already positioned to obtain a balance between cool air and debris free air. It is also worth mentioning the intake is designed by Honda to have a specific resonance frequency, hence the pep it has around 3k. Changing the length of the intake changes its resonance frequency.

I wasn't planning on moving or modifying the length of the intake. Here's a terrible example of what I'm talking about around 3:15 of the video. Running a PVC pipe to ram cool air from the lower portion of the car to the left upper half of the bay.

Oh okay. I see, in that case I would suggest incorporating a 90 bend with a hole drilled in the elbow so any water drawn in has a way out before atomizing into the intake flow.

I say again, the intake gets plenty of cool air as it is so you don't stand to gain much of anything.

For all the effort you would go through to achieve this you are talking about a potential gain that has got to be less than 1% even if it works perfectly.

Now for something that has a substantial amount of 'gain' try removing your intake tube and attach the filter directly to the TB, or if you can wrap the intake around to the hottest portion of your engine bay that you can locate. For added effect cut off a section of PVC pipe and squeeze it into the end of the intake tube so that you reduce the tube diameter by 10% (or even more if you can find the right material). You are looking at a good 3-5% gain in MPG, maybe more depending on your ambient temps and driving habits.

Just an update to anyone who is interested in my project car, I ordered a pair of Megan headers this week and got them installed (pre picture) sounds really nice. More of just an aesthetic upgrade considering this is an auto. Looking to get a manual tranny converted and installed. The antifreeze res was removed because I was uninstalling the battery tray and bracket to be sandblasted, primed, and painted. I was also removing some absolutely terrible wiring and cable routing (original owners) from some fog lights that were removed. Definitely loving my first Honda!

ResizedImage951342298286831.jpg

Archived