2008 Honda Accord (Door lock issues - "actuator")

Arpi D.

WHERE DO I BEGIN!?!?! How can I possibly explain my frustration with Honda?

I own a 2008 Honda Accord and for over a year now I have been dealing with it falling apart in small annoying ways.... unrelated to "wear and tear."

Slowly, each one of my doors started to have problems, they don't lock or unlock...it must be done manually and when doing so it makes a horrific sound (like something is stuck). After taking it to a few Honda dealerships in the greater Los Angeles area, I was told it was the actuator. The cost to fix each door is $500!!! By this time, there was a total of 3 doors not working and the driver door is working on and off...so soon it will be all 4 doors. I was told that Honda would be willing to pay 40% of the cost....in which case I am still out of pocket over $1,000 plus my time and inconvenience.

I recently wrote Honda corp. offices a letter explaining to them my issue and a week or so later I get a cal from a representative asking me if I bought an extended warranty? What I THINK is fair for Honda to pay to fix this matter? And telling me that of course, everyone wants their repairs done for free.

My answer to his question was that I didn't think I should have to pay ANYTHING out of pocket, as a consumer I shouldn't have to pay for Honda using cheap parts.

No wonder there are so many amazing lease deals on Honda Accords now-a-days...$199 a month lease deals!!!! Figures since....Honda is mass producing cheap cars!!!

I know a few other people that have the same car and are having the same door-lock issue. Clearly, this is not "wear and tear" and there no reason why a consumer would purchase an extended warranty in anticipation for an issue like this.

WAIT...IT GETS WORSE! I brought up the idea of safety to the representative on the phone. Often times, I drive around my young nephews. What if, as I am driving they open the door and fall out!?!? All because the locks don't work properly??? To my dismay, the representative told me that a situation like that would't be considered a matter of safety. I was shocked!!! THEN WHAT EXACTLY DOES HONDA CONSIDER TO BE A MATTER OF SAFETY???

I am still waiting for a call back from the representative and I will make sure to post with any updates I get. Everyone should know what is going on here and they should be warned NEVER TO PURCHASE A HONDA!!!!

I have owned other Honda cars (also had issues with those - won't get into that now) the Honda reputation is slowly going down the drain....they aren't made like they used to be!!! I will never own another Honda every again!

First world problems. The power locks don't work on your $20,000 car.

I have a car with a door wired shut with a coat hanger. Another the door doesn't unlatch unless you use a screw driver against the spring. Every other Honda I have owned has mechanical locks and a window crank. I find if I avoid useless creature comforts I don't have to pay to have them repaired.

I understand you are upset, but it's a car. They break. If you cannot afford to maintain it then buy a cheaper car so you have money in the bank for repairs. I have little sympathy for your situation as anything costing more than $1000 is vastly out of my budget. Honda offering to cover 40% of the out of warranty fix is an awesome deal and I would take it and run if I were you.

There is an expectation that certain items should last longer than the motor. I agree. But I don't agree that Honda is responsible for all those little things that break, I mean they are, but not financially cause they don't go around saying those things won't break, rather they use dubious platitudes describing their cars as being "dependable" or "a smart buy". It's a machine: learn to turn a screw or fork over the cash and take the 40% off.

Archived