1996 honda accord cyl 1 misfire 2.2 4 cyl vtec

forumskallywag

i recently bought this car and it was shifting only on speeds so i looked and the tps sensor was unplugged so i plugged it in.it shifted fine after that. A few days later i noticed that that it was running weird, then cyl one misfire code came up blinking. the code it erased when the car is turned off and only happens when im in the range of about 2000rpm to 3000rpm mostly while im cruising.

i have replaced the plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor, and cleaned out the egr valve. Please help if you can

Based on what you have done you can also try the following:

1. Using a piece of hose hold one and to your ear and the other to the injector. While idling listen to it and compare it to the other cylinders. They should all sound to same (you should hear them "clicking"). If all sound the same then you "should" be able to rule out a faulty injector.

2. Back to the EGR. It is good that you cleaned the valve but did you clean to ports and port plate on the top of the intake? If not you should. The reasoning behind this is the #1 port is on clyinder #1 and that is the port that generally receives the most recirculated exhaust. Now, additional reasoning is you mentioned it happens when cruising and that is when the EGR system is activated and at it peak. There are two types of EGR port systems used during that generation. If you have the port plated they are quick to clean simply remove the fuel rail and remove the 6mm bolts holding the plate, clean plate and port holes, reinstall. If you have bronze port plugs then you will have to drill the plugs, clean ports, tap holes and install a bolt. We always use short 7mm dia. bolts because they are the perfect size. 6mm ar too small and 8mm are a little too big.

Hope this gives you more to work with. Post back on you findings.

Archived