trans swap on a 88 Accord

wobbedennis

I'm looking at picking this car up, don't know yet if it's gonna be worth my time. it's the two door hatch back, and the trans it a goner. you put it in 1st and let out the clutch and it just sits there and clunks. does the same with reverse gear. doesn't even try to move even though the carb it forcing the engine to idle at 4000rpm. one, what do you guys think the issue is, and two it is worth trading a running Datsun 210 for it? with cash coming my way for it. Also, how much it the transaxle assembly for this car and is there a six speed for it?

I can't tell you if this car is worth your time.

I can tell you in my area those are becoming harder to find in the salvage yard and your situation is the same then a replacement transmission may be hard to find.

You may want to explore repairing the transmission yourself. No I cant tell you what's wrong with it. From what I've seen you may need to start by removing the transmission case just to see what's going on.

Wrong 'Humphries', the PGM-Fi system from the LX-i has a different fuel pump and fuel lines, EVAP system, and I am not sure what he's supposed to do with his X system nor EGR which is matched to the exhaust.

It would be easier and far more fruitful to do an H22 swap if you're going through the trouble of changing CVCC to PGM-Fi.

I had one of these and it's not a vacuum line nightmare after you get used to it. They sell new line cheap and leaks can be noisy. I also read you can find a leak by spraying brake cleaner on the suspected line while the car is idling to see if the idle goes up since a leak would suck the hexanes (brake cleaner) into the intake.

Edit: Fuel injected Civics/CRXs had the MPFI and DPFI systems. Accords and Preludes only ever had the PGM-Fi.

Wrong 'Humphries', the PGM-Fi system from the LX-i has a different fuel pump and fuel lines, EVAP system, and I am not sure what he's supposed to do with his X system nor EGR which is matched to the exhaust.

It would be easier and far more fruitful to do an H22 swap if you're going through the trouble of changing CVCC to PGM-Fi.

I had one of these and it's not a vacuum line nightmare after you get used to it. They sell new line cheap and leaks can be noisy. I also read you can find a leak by spraying brake cleaner on the suspected line while the car is idling to see if the idle goes up since a leak would suck the hexanes (brake cleaner) into the intake.

Edit: Fuel injected Civics/CRXs had the MPFI and DPFI systems. Accords and Preludes only ever had the PGM-Fi.

good to know. thanks.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="wobbedennis" data-cid="449632" data-time="1360167195"><p>

ok, well, I'm gonn call the kid today and pick the car up. where is the weak point in these transmissions?</p></blockquote>

I would say its the long third and fifth gears, mechanical shift selector and cable clutch. Swapping to the H22 remedies this by updating your setup to newer Honda tech: cable selector and hydraulic clutch.

LOL same as always I guess. I've seen late model cars with junk motors and trans, I've seen cream puffs that got totalled by the insurance company for no other reason than the age of the vehicle.

You just have to do your best to inspect it prior to removal and get whatever warranty they offer.

My advise: if you're in it for the long haul, get a trans from the salvage yard, buy the Helm Inc Honda Service Manual, look up Honda transmission rebuilds on You Tube, rebuild your old trans, then swap it back in and see if you've learned anything.

• 4 weeks later...

Has it occurred yet to examine your CV axles? Your transmission might be JUST fine. Check the inners and outers. Maybe it is broken INSIDE the boot. and just spinning. I have seen this before.

Let us know what you find.

Archived