1992 Honda Accord EX steering issue

gjv6662

Hey there, I've gotten a huge problem. When I start my vehicle, the steering wheel starts turning all the way to the right to the stop, and I cannot turn it to the left at all. I've pulled off the power steering pump, and spun the pulley, and fluid came out, so I don't think it's the pump, and my lines look fine, any other ideas what could be causing this?

It's the Valve Body Assembly or you have a massive PS Fluid leak on the passenger side of the PS Rack.

PS Valve Body Assembly: The thing your Steering Column connects to on the Power Steering Rack. Turning the wheel is supposed to direct fluid through the body to tip the hydraulic pressure balance within the PS Rack to whatever side you are turning.

Massive Leak: if one side of the rack is constantly under pressurized the Valve Body cannot tip the balance in the direction your turning but will instead shove the rack in the direction of the lowest pressure.

Checking for a massive leak is easy, it would have to be pouring out. If you cannot get under the car to observe the PS Rack in operation, don't worry, a leak this big will run the system dry in a short time (which doesn't cause immediate damage to the pump but shouldn't be allowed to persist).

A clog somewhere could appear to be a valve body issue. Really, the point of concern would be at the line connections on the rack. Inspecting this type of problem without a pressure gauge could prove daunting.

If it was me (I've rebuilt my own PS Rack) I'd gauge the condition inside the rack by peeking under the boots after looking for a massive leak.

In the meantime, take the belt off and build some muscles until you decide what to do.

Archived