Accord died after I washed engine bay

lbhrulestheuniverse

Just purchased a 1998 Accord. Thought I was doing a good thing by washing out the engine bay as it has not been well maintained. After I finished I ran to the store, and then came home. The car ran fine. A couple of hours later I went out to start it, and it was dead. It will not turn over, no clicking, the dash lights and stereo don't seem to work either. Battery tested fine. Tried to dry it out, blew out distributor and plugs with air......reached a dead end. Any body know where to look from here?

I would suggest a new engine/motor either brand new or from the junkyard, i was close to cleaning out my engine to, my uncle suggested that but then i thought washing a engine wont be a good idea so i left it alone, and this post basically proved my reason, but new motor/engine is a must now, others can beg to differ but thats just my opinion

I wash my engine all the time. What's wrong now really depends on where you sprayed water.

Based on what you described, you likely have a blown fuse. Find the fuse with a probe light or multimeter; don't go one by one pulling all the fuses and inspecting them one at a time, you'll frustrate yourself and only miss a small break if the break is small.

Replace the fuse and then see if it blows again, then look into why you now have this problem.

• 3 weeks later...
I wash my engine all the time. What's wrong now really depends on where you sprayed water.

Based on what you described, you likely have a blown fuse. Find the fuse with a probe light or multimeter; don't go one by one pulling all the fuses and inspecting them one at a time, you'll frustrate yourself and only miss a small break if the break is small.

Replace the fuse and then see if it blows again, then look into why you now have this problem.

I totally agree with this reply..... engine just "dying" is HIGHLY unlikely, especially if there were no other symptoms: knocking, sputtering, etc...

good luck

Archived