my honda loses power when I drive it on the freeway

whislejane

I have a 94 honda accord ex which when I drive it on the freeway and accerlate it loses power and wants to stall. I replaced the alternator thinking that was the problem and it still did it. Then I tried replacing the throttle sensor and when I drove the car it did it again. When I go onto the freeway and accerlate to 65 mph, it then loses power and I cant get it to speed up again. and it wants to stall on me. can anyone tell me what the problem is ? thanks

I have a 94 honda accord ex which when I drive it on the freeway and accerlate it loses power and wants to stall. I replaced the alternator thinking that was the problem and it still did it. Then I tried replacing the throttle sensor and when I drove the car it did it again. When I go onto the freeway and accerlate to 65 mph, it then loses power and I cant get it to speed up again. and it wants to stall on me. can anyone tell me what the problem is ? thanks . also I would like to add that I purchased the car from a private owner that said the car was fine, to find out that it wasnt. He wouldnt even take the car back or help fix the car. I purchased it in Virginia beach and now its sitting in my driveway and cant even drive it or afford to get it fixed.

Two things can cause this normally. Coil or ICM goes bad. You have to take a test light and remove the distributor cap and rotor. You'll see a part on the bottom with four wires going to it. The black/yellow wire is the one that you need to test. You have to connect the test light clamp to the negative cable of the battery and put the pointy end of the test light on the terminal that wire is on. Have someone to crank over the engine. The light should come on with the key in the second position and flash while cranking. If you get no flashing the problem is the ICM. If it flashes the coil is faulty. It is easy to figure out. Hope that helps.

You might want to take up on a shop offer on a free inspection of your exhaust as well. The symptoms you describe sometimes occur from a clogged/damaged catalytic converter.

Archived