1999 Accord Transmission

Zimmer3

I have a 1999 Honda Accord EX V6 with automatic transmission and 198,000 miles. Over the past year my transmission has been getting worse, shifting from park into reverse is violent when I first start up the car, shifting while driving is bad also. Usually when the car shifts from 2nd to 3rd it will shift into 3rd, then there is a clunk like the clutch wan't fully pressed together and then its fine. When slowing down on the road and speeding back up instead of downshifting to 2nd gear it will stay lugged down in 3rd, then when I push the gas enough it violently shifts down into 2nd gear. Recently when the car shifts while accelerating it will act like its about to shift, then the engine revs 1000 more RPMs and shifts and when my car wont downshift into 2nd and i slowly press the gas the transmission wont shift and instead starts to shake the whole car until I put the shifter down into 2nd. Also when accelerating it has begun to shift and then feel like I am in neutral, I will accelerate, the car will shift, then the RPMs go up and the car does not accelerate unless I manually downshift one gear. The check engine light has come on a few times in the past 2 years I've owned the car, the first time it said clutch solenoid and torque converter, the second time the same things. Then today it came on saying wrong gear ratio (this came on while the car would not downshift into 2nd). What do I need to do? My transmission fluid is full and clean. Do I need to replace the torque converter and clutch solenoid or do I need a whole new transmission?

Sorry to sound like a douche but did you actually check the trans fluid? Given the miles if you do not have info on the last time a trans services was done now seems like a good time for it.

That generation of accord (I had a 98) was prone to lots of trans problems. Once upon a time I think there was even a few recalls. It's been so long I don't even remember what solenoid I replaced but something as congruous as a 'shift solenoid' comes to mind. If you parse through some of the various forum posts for 98-99 accord transmission you should find hundreds, if not thousands, of people with similar odd behaviors. Many of them resulted in replacement, unfortunately.

Archived