Storage with battery disconnected

beancounter

2 months only? I think your answer might be a little overkill James. For a longer period of time yes, those things might be needed.

I routinely let my trail Jeeps (yes, I know a Jeep isn't an Accord) sit for 6-9 months at a time. Probably not the best treatments but I get by with disconnecting the negative cable from the battery and making sure the fuel tank is more than 3/4 full. Also, make sure to flip your HVAC to recirculate mode before you turn it off and leave it. It will keep some bugs and most rodents out of your car.

He/She might have meant 2+ months = 2 years for all I know. Given the time of year I surmise it is tied to summer break for a university student. Maybe he/she is going home for the summer and leaving the car at their apartment or something.

Whoever told you that clearly knows little about cars or electronics.

If an electronic device were going to be damaged by heat the application of power to it would actually hasten the process if anything. Heat damages batteries more than circuits and chips. Destructive heat in electronics typically doesn't begin to occur until you exceed 65c or 150f and that is only when power is applied. I regularly make use of an oven for fixing circuit boards and bake them at 350 for 10 minutes without incident.

Archived