2008 Accord battery not charging

Aaron Ward

My accord's battery was not charging. Indicator light came on. Hooked up to tester and it showed not charging. Let it sit over the weekend waiting to get into shop. Now it's starting ok and charging ok. Indicator light is off. Tester is showing full charge.

Any ideas?

Corroded terminals, loose cables, and bad grounds are the first place to check. Even if the terminals look clean pull the cable off and scrub the terminal and cables with a small wire brush. No special cleaner would be needed. An old oiled rag will help though. Reattach and tighten firmly. Don't forget to clean and the cables where they attach to the alternator too. You should have at least three grounds as well. One from the battery to the chassis, one from the valve cover to the chassis and one from the transmission to the chassis. Your car will not operate correctly without these in place and clean of rust or corrosion. I would recommend disconnecting each and cleaning the cable and the mounting point on each end of the ground.

All of these can be done with a very basic mechanics tool kit and an evening. The battery terminals themselves are the easiest to clean and also the most common place where corrosion can build up and cause your intermittent problem. Even if you don't go to the full effort I described above at least do the battery terminals and cables and maybe save yourself a hundred bucks.

Archived