1987 Honda Accord Alternator

aeongap

I am replacing my alternator and have got it unbolted and was wondering, how do I get it out? I have removed some hoses, removed the air intake, and the belt tension bracket, but it still won't move. Do I have to remove it from the bottom? I don't have the tools necessary to remove the axle or anything like that, just in my garage with basic craftsman tools.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Not sure exactly, Honda recommends removing the axle, but we found it unnecessary on my Civic. Try pulling it out from underneath, twist it around a few different ways to see if you can't squeeze it out. If it won't come out then the axle will need to be dropped.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

DISCONNECT YOUR BATTERY FIRST. Loosen you belt tension bolt (10mm). Remove the alternator belt from the pulley. Then unplug the alternator. Then unbolt the alternator. Then wiggle the alternator until it comes out of its bracket. Then push the alternator to the other side of the engine (away from the belts, i.e. passenger side in the US). Squeeze the alternator around the hoses that feed into your heater core and POP! Your Accord just gave birth to defective alternator (you can cut the umbilical cord and wipe the sweat from your brow).

Don't worry you will improve with repetition. Yes, I said repetition. Parts distributors rarely stock new alternators and remanufactured units tend to have broken/faulty diodes which sends you the customer back for more.

Archived